What is a Doula:
A doula is a woman experienced in childbirth who accompanies a mother in labor, providing emotional support, physical comfort, labor progression techniques and help creating a positive atmosphere. A doula can provide needed information enabling the client to make informed decisions as they arise in labor. This may include possible alternatives to standard or routine procedures. A doula works in harmony with the client’s husband/partner/coach, providing complete labor support in a team effort.
What a Doula does NOT do:
• Perform clinical tasks such as measuring blood pressure, vaginal exams, or fetal heart rate monitoring.
• Make decisions on behalf of the client.
• Speak to staff for you regarding matters where decisions are being made.
Services Provided (may vary slightly between doulas, please see individual services pages):
• 1-2 Prenatal visit(s), preferably in your home, to discuss the parent’s desires and preparation for birth
• Phone, text, and email support as needed from time of contract, throughout pregnancy and postpartum
• Assistance in creating an individualized birth plan
• Labor support at home and/or hospital as needed beginning with active labor
• Emotional, physical and informational support during labor and birth
• Immediate postpartum assistance and initial breast-feeding support (1-2 hours)
• Video and/or photos using the client’s equipment, as circumstances allow
• Written birth time line to be given at postpartum visit
• In home postpartum visit 1- 4 weeks following the birth
We accompany women in labor to help insure a satisfying birth experience. We draw on my knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort and the information you need to make informed decisions as situations arise in labor. We provide reassurance and perspective to you and your partner, make suggestions for labor progress and help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort. We are independent and self employed. We work for you, not your doctor, midwife or hospital.
We prefer to meet with you and your partner at least once before labor to become acquainted, to explore and discuss your priorities and any fears or concerns, and to plan how we might work best together. This meeting does not obligate you to use our services, but if you do select one of us, then we will need to meet again so that your doula may become familiar with your Birth Plan, including your preferences regarding pain management options and the use of pain medications. Your doula also wants to know your best ways of coping with pain and fatigue and how you and your partner foresee working together and with your doula. We may also decide on other meetings and will remain in contact by telephone or email.
Our prices are about $500 to $1000+. Contact us to request pricing details.