The Atlanta Birth Doulas serve the Atlanta Metro area. They are certified through Doulas of North America (DONA). We also provide placenta encapsulation, postpartum doula services, Buckhead Childbirth Classes, East Cobb Childbirth Classes, and Online Childbirth Classes.
What is a doula?
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
A Birth Doula
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman’s memory of the birth experience
- Allows the woman’s partner to participate at his/her comfort level
October 12, 2014
When you go on your hospital tour, it’s likely you will find out that they offer a FREE childbirth education class, or maybe one for a small fee. Wow! Score! Right??? Wrong. When you take a childbirth class at the hospital, they are going to teach you how to be a good patient. They are …read more
October 8, 2014
When choosing an OB to deliver their child, many women choose their GYN. “I’ve been seeing them for years!” They say. Is that really a good reason to choose who is going to deliver your baby? Your provider choice is the number one determining factor of the outcome of your birth (most of the time). …read more
September 23, 2014
You are in the parking lot of a store, and you see a mom with a cute little baby. As you watch, she begins to wrap her baby in a long piece of fabric and swings the baby into her back. “Is that safe?” You wonder. “Should I help her?” These are natural questions that …read more
August 6, 2014
A doula is a wingwoman. She gives you the assist. She helps you find the POWER within yourself. The power that is already there; your doula will help you summon it.
Here’s the latest from our Facebook: